Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Knocked Up, Knocked Down.

I chose to write about, and discuss Jessica's Winter's review of Knocked Up. This caught my eye because my friends tend to think this movie is one of the holy grails of comedy. In fact, they probably believe the screenplay was etched in the back of the same stone tablets as the Ten Commandments. To say the least I don't agree with their views. While it does provide some laughs, if your in to that type of humor, I'm not, there are way two many flaws in the film for it to be the intelligent comedy most people seem to believe it is. I was interested if Jessica would side with me or my friends who are worse than prepubescent teens.


Winter looks both sides of the argument and at times she has some kind words for the film. She stated “it’s a reliable laugh factory, it really loves babies, etc. “, but overall her review was slightly on the negative side. She tended to agree with me, or I with her, on a lot of the problems with the film. For one it's filled with a bunch of crappy, vulgar, one liners. They just don't do it for me, it obviously works for some people, like my friends, but sadly not for cool, hip people, like myself, and Jessica. Also there just aren't any likable characters in the film for me. The male leads were annoying and the female leads were weak on personality and character, and also had somewhat stereotypical 'women' attitudes. The most interesting character for me as well as Jessica is the bouncer. She says “Craig Robinson as a philosophical club bouncer whose soul-searching monologue comes out of nowhere and deserves its own movie.” Indeed, it was the only time I laughed with the movie, and not angrily at the movie.


This articled interested me because Jessica was one of only a handful of people who felt the same way I did about Knocked Up. Now I ca prove to my friends that I am not alone in the world.

1 comment:

Carl Bogner said...

Dave - thanks for the review here of "Knocked Up" - a movie I find bizarre for lots of reasons, one of which that is that its attitudes toward pregnancy seem rather, well, of another era. But that may be my review - not yours.

And a review you provided, citing J Winters for support or parallel opinions. I wish this didn't read like an online review - though, yes, this is on line. But it reads more like a consumerist post on imbd than something for a class. Any examples? Any issues - like representations of men, of women - that you'd care to take further?

I'll agree that one should find what is useful in the journals chosen, but it doesn't seem that you selected in Cinemascope anything to encourage you to consider something you don't already have a grasp of. Perhaps the Finn piece on festivals. But it would have been good to have seen you try to make a stretch here. Of all you read in Cinemascope, only the familiar provoked you to write?